Hatyai After 6 Years

Came back from Hatyai yesterday. The place hasn't changed much since I saw it 6 years ago. It's a lot quieter though. Not as many tourists as last time. The things there are also much more expensive (in many cases more expensive than here in Penang).

I went there with my family and my aunt.


Travel time wasn't very long, but I can't say how long. Forgot to keep track. We had to store our car away in a small town in Kedah called Changlun.
This is Changlun. You can easily get a taxi to Hatyai from there. It's near Bukit Kayu Hitam, that's the border.

After that we got into a van and smashed into the immigrations. Okay we didn't smash.

Malaysian Immigrations @ Bukit Kayu Hitam

Then across the No-Man's Land part which well... nobody owns, is the Thai immigrations.

Thai immigrations @ Sadao (border town)

Another 1 hour ride in and you can get to Hatyai. I'm not going to bother you with my whole itinerary there. You won't be interested and I don't have the time. So just a bit of pics from here and there...

Ah hah! If you ever go to Hatyai, remember to come here at least once-

It has a Chinese name, but it serves Thai food. The food's really good. The locals call it Khan Eng or something like that.

If you don't speak a word of Thai, don't worry. The waiters there actually understand Hokkien. Their hokkien sounds funny, but it's better than communicating with hand signals.

There's also the evening market, where can get lots of delicious (and weird) stuff.


When in Thailand, try their dessert.
I realised they use a LOT of glutinous rice. I think they can get it cheap. That's why. They're really good at it.

In the morning we visited the morning market. Yes, there are a lot of markets. Big and small. Morning, day and night.

They sell all kinds of stuff.

EVEN BUGS. BIG, FAT BUGS.

Instead of eating bugs, I opted for something more... er... edible.

Little pineapples. Cute and sweet. Surprisingly sweet. I don't know what the 100% thing means, and I don't care. It's a lot better than eating those bugs.


What's Hatyai without the famous Toot Toot. No I didn't censor anything. The locals call this form of transport Tuk Tuk, but I've been calling it Toot Toot since I knew what it was.

From left, Papa, Mummy, my Aunt, err and me. My younger brother's holding the camera.

And another thing on my list to talk... I mean type about is-

Tau Hua/Tau Huey. They even have it there. However, they pack so much ginger in the soup it burns a hole in your tongue. In the middle is pek kui (白果)*the 2nd Chinese character is wrong. My computer cannot generate the correct word.


If you think that cup of white stuff is also Tau Huey, you're not as smart as I thought.

It's just a soya bean drink buster.

While in Hatyai, I also visited my relatives there.
Say hi folks.

Go ahead. Say hi. Don't be shy.

That's about it. Enough. If I stare at this computer any longer my eyes will explode.

2 comments:

  1. Umiak said...:

    Wakakaka!!! :-)

Post a Comment