Durian

It's spiky. It's thorny. It packs quite a punch, just like all Malaysians do. The Westerners say it tastes like heaven but stinks like hell. The locals wonder what's wrong with those Westerners. It's seasonal. Its very presence drives its enthusiasts crazy. Behold...

DURIAN!!!

I admit I'm a die-hard fan of durian. I've been having it since I learned how to poke my own nose.
Papa is a professional durian-chooser. He's been picking his own durians since he was a kid. We got our loot from this guy called Ah Sin. He used to deliver durians to my grandma's place when he was my age. So, my father knows him very well.

Ah Sin at the Lip Sin old market

We opened our durians at home. Papa is a pro at that too. He teaches me his 'kang hu' when he gets the chance. Yes, when it comes to durians, my Dad's the hero.
To open the durians, we use a knife.

A BIG knife.


That's Papa in action. First you look for the lines at the butt of the durian. Then you chop in and pry it open bit by bit with the knife, and finally you use your hands to pull the spiky thing apart.

All open already. Some are eaten immediately, while some are kept away in a container and put in the fridge. Those kept away won't taste that good, but it's like eating ice cream. Quite nice. Usually we finish them quite fast. Hopefully by next week there will be more. Hehe.

0 comments:

Post a Comment