-

I'm putting my books aside to write this because I've finally found the courage to put them down. And I'm willing to face the consequences.

Books don't define who I am. Neither do my results. There are many other more important things and people in life I have lost touch with in life, and I guess now it's time to give these people, especially people, some recognition.


It always starts with family, and it will always end with family. I suppose much of his white hair may be due to his endless (and sometimes unnecessary) worry about me. He never needed my 8As and 13As and all that nonsense to make him proud. In fact he told me his happiest moment was when I was 6 years old, in the car with him, passing by my would-be primary school, and I told him when I grow up, I promise I'll do my best. He was proud of me because I was his son, and that was all he needed of me.


Mum. Probably gives me the most pressure because she usually asks about results. And it was her idea that I should go to Perth. And I'll always remember what she told me years ago. No matter what happens, I still have family. I forgot why she said that and when, but ah well, bad memory does not define a person too I guess. So never mind that.


My ultimate nemesis when it comes to arguing. Good source of practice when it comes to training oratory skills. His mouth is a thermonuclear weapon that can devastate the entire universe. Undoubtedly the greatest noise maker in the family. Nevertheless, the noise he makes pivots me to reality. If that makes sense. We troll the planet like a boss!


Another of my pillars of support, and one of the few people that are able to sense something's wrong just by looking at the way I act. Now that's a skill. Somehow she reminds me to be true to myself. I'm living my life, not another person's life. And nothing can be worse than being someone you're not.


They say not everyone that stands beside you is your friend, and not everyone that shuns you is your enemy. That said, I'm still certain I have a small group of friends that really care. Although ,they don't know the whole story (which is partly my fault). One day I believe most people realise that their best memories from their college years are not related to academics. They're from spending time doing not-so-academic things with friends.


And this is probably the guy I've lost touch with the most. Note to him, try your best but BE YOURSELF. And freaking get something done about those worms on the bean plants.

There's no such thing as a no through road in life. Despite the obstacles, there's always something, and more importantly, someone to fall back to. I guess it's all about realising this. And in the end, it's really the people that matter, not slips of papers with numbers and words on them.


In life, unlike chess, the game continues after checkmate.
- Isaac Asimov

It's a quote I heard some time ago when watching an episode of Criminal Minds. Arguably the best piece of wisdom I've encountered so far. I suppose with the right people supporting you, a checkmate is never a checkmate. 

The game continues.

4 comments:

  1. Zhe#woody said...:

    This post contained least crap ever in your blog! Be yourself! haha

  1. Janet said...:

    I like this post. =D

  1. Sze Min said...:

    I like this post too but the part I dislike is my face is missing in that photo. :'(

  1. Ewe Juan said...:

    Thanks guys and girls! Lol Sze Min, that's why I said "not everyone that stands beside you is your friend, and not everyone that shuns you is your enemy". See who's not beside me and who's beside me. You might catch a good reason why I wrote that :P

Post a Comment