CNY Cookies!

Back when I did not understand calendars, I used to depend on these cookies to know that Chinese New Year is around the corner. They only appeared around CNY, so every time I saw them, I knew it was AngPow time :D

Some traditional treats, some modern ones.

The taller jar on the left contains Kuih Rose, also known as the "Beehive" in Hokkien. These can taste pretty bland, since they're basically just crispy pieces of rice flour. Fortunately though, the person who made these did a very good job, so I had a great time munching.

Next to it is the well known Kuih Kapit. If I'm not mistaken, they're also called Love Letters. It's a treat you may classify as old school. The jar in front has almond cookies in it. Bet they didn't have this 20 years ago?

CNY is coming to town!

The downside to buying cookies this early is by the time CNY arrives, we're left with less than half of what we bought. My bro and I have a good appetite for such stuff. We figured we should eat all we can, since we only see them once a year. I've got a feeling mom will have to visit the cookie lady a second time before the new year.

0 comments:

Post a Comment