CNY Cultural & Heritage Celebration

Last Sunday I went to town for the CNY heritage celebration. It's held a little after CNY every year, but the last time I've been to such a celebration was more than 10 years ago. I couldn't remember much about what I saw that time, save for a lion dancer falling off a pole.

Don't worry, he got back up and completed the performance amid thunderous applause.

Anyway, fast forward till Sunday when I decided to check out the event that jammed up Georgetown.

I went early. So the streets were still pretty empty. The roads were closed to traffic.

Teochew Association. First stop.

Chinese Opera costumes on display in the Association.

Cheah Kongsi. The architecture is awesome.

The legendary Khoo Kongsi. Too bad the building was sealed off.

Seems the God of Prosperity was giving a speech in Khoo Kongsi.

Seriously, if you haven't been into these Kongsi-kongsis before, do go. It's like you're seeing ancient Chinese architecture in Malaysia. The structures were well-maintained and I enjoyed walking around inside.

Drinks, anyone?

Baba Nyonya performances at Poh Hock Seah.

I think that guy was singing in a language I did not understand.

Met Uncle Lim later that night. Only managed to snap this photo.

Later that night it got crowded. I mean sardines-in-a-can type of crowded. It got quite impossible to move around, so I decided to leave before the end of the event at 12am. It was quite an experience. Certainly worth going if you haven't been to the celebration before.

0 comments:

Post a Comment