Failed Raja Uda Tom Yam

Our friend Shun Mu came back from Kangarooland, and his first request was to go to Raja Uda for Tom Yam. My guess is either you don't get Tom Yam in Australia, or them Aussies do a horrible job when it comes to this Thai delicacy.

I've been to Raja Uda once, but that doesn't mean I know how to get there again. My sense of direction is about as good as my culinary skills, and suffice to say that the only reason I'm ever needed in the kitchen is because there are dishes to be washed.

Unfortunately, after arriving we realised that the 'original' Tom Yam wasn't open, so we had to settle for another Tom Yam stall. A counterfeit, you may say. The soup was just okay, but we ended up being charged an unusually high price. So next time, only go for the original. Don't ask me where the original is. Mesa sense of direction no good. I agak agak only.

After that we went for a walk at some sort of pasar malam. It wasn't a full fledged night market. There weren't many stalls. But I don't know what else to call it.

Eu Zha Koay!

We got some of that stuff on top. Apparently there's a stall famous for it, and for good reason. I've never tasted Eu Zha Koay as good as the ones over there. I can tell you the stall is somewhere opposite a Caltex station, on the same road as the Tom Yam. That's all the info I can give you.

Si Ko Th'ng

I haven't had Si Ko Th'ng for a very long time. It was an excellent thirst-quencher after walking around the night market. Sadly though there was nothing special about this dessert over in Raja Uda. You can get better versions of it in Penang Island (for a higher price).

Also, if you get bored after the night market you can go to the alley behind, where there is a makeshift stage. You'll get to enjoy some singing if there is a celebration on for whatever deity in the area. That, or the singing will make you even more bored.

0 comments:

Post a Comment