Fruits Not Seen Every Day

Recently my mum went to the Jelutong market and came back with a bag full of fruits that I haven't eaten in a long time. So I decided to take a picture to add some colour to the online asylum. Hey, fruits are good for you. They contain lots of fibre and ensure you do not get constipated.

Even Ewe Juan the adventurer from Assignmentopia recommends eating fruits for good health. He takes a lot of them ad therefore rarely gets constipated. He told me just yesterday.

The colours resemble traffic lights slightly.

I'm sure you recognise the shiny, reddish black ones. They are cherries, and seem to be in season now. You can grab them at any morning market.

The big yellow balls are known as Buah Stan. Something like that. They contain more fibre than edible flesh, but have a very nice sour taste with a hint of sweetness. There's a Buah Stan tree outside Botanical Garden. It's very tall, and if you're not careful it'll rain these fruits on you. I had to throw these fruits on the floor to break them open (seriously), so you don't want them hitting you on the head.

The tiny green things are known as Eu Kam in Hokkien. According to my mum, people usually preserve them in salt before eating them, for a very good reason. I tried eating one in the photo (obviously not preserved) and it was bitter like hell. Very bitter, and sour at the same time. However when you finally get yourself to swallow the whole of that tiny fruit, you will start to get a sweet taste deep in your mouth. It comes slowly. Pretty cool.

And that ends today's unusual fruits lesson. Try your luck and see if you can find the fruits I've written about.

0 comments:

Post a Comment